All of the student volunteers were eager to make the clinic a success and provided the best care to the patients. Since this was a senior citizens clinic most of the patients needed to have their teeth cleaned, and the Dental Hygiene Station was inundated with patients which put a large strain on our dental hygiene volunteers. Second year dental students were asked and eagerly agreed to provide dental hygiene care to help alleviate the demand. As the clinic progressed, volunteers were able to switch assigned locations to learn more about other clinic assignments, to take breaks, and to eat lunch which was graciously donated.
This clinic was a success since we had worked on many patients; however, we were unable to provide treatment due to time. Unfortunately, it was my responsibility to inform approximately 20 people that we would complete an oral examination and take radiographs but not be able to treat them. This was a difficult job since we strive to help as many people as we can. However, we did inform them that they can attend our next clinic in November.
Our Station Leaders (Lola Stanson/Esther Schara, Steven Kirby, Austin Baruffi, Chris Chan, and Muhannad Al Salayta) did an excellent job in directing and teaching the volunteers. As I surveyed the clinic, I noticed the Clinic Pit volunteers helping the clinicians with operatory set-up and breakdown and getting needed supplies for the clinic procedures. I then fully understood and appreciated all supplies that have been donated or bought through donations to be used at our clinics. Without support, we would not be able to provide treatment to the people who truly need to help. I thank the AYUDA Leadership (Bethany Lowe and Pehrson Hawkley) for allowing me to be Clinic Director, and I look forward to new experiences at future AYUDA clinics.










No comments:
Post a Comment